27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display

My Mac Pro (2008) was a great machine, but 2008 was a long time ago. The SSD gave it a few more years of useful life, but the end was drawing near. So, back in May, I finally bit the bullet and ordered a 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display. The Mac Pro's SSD died a few weeks later.

Firstly, the screen. If you haven't see one, go check it out at an Apple Store. It is truly spectacular, with 5120 × 2880 pixels. It's like having a giant 27-inch iPhone 6 on your desk. My eyes are now utterly ruined for regular LCD monitors, and my 13-inch MacBook Air looks like someone's drawn grid lines all over the screen.

Secondly, I did skimp on the disk. Full SSD was an option, but I went for a 3TB "fusion drive" instead. After the OWC Mercury Accelsior in the Mac Pro, I swore I'd never go back. But I've gone half-way back. No complaints so far, but I'm keeping a close eye on it.

(Oh, and yes, I'm just going to jump right in here and pretend it's not nearly three years since my last post. This blog was so neglected, Blogger wouldn't even let me edit the template—evidently too much bit-rot and it made the dashboard explode. I had to export all the posts, delete the blog, re-create on with the same name, and import all the posts again.)

Comments

Popular Posts